Helping parents keep children safer online
In December 2016, ISPCC and Vodafone hosted a Cyber Safety Conference in Dublin. The aim of this conference was to invite policy makers, industry practitioners, academics and others involved in child protection and online safety to discuss worrying trends in how online activity could be putting children and young people at risk.
The invitation-only conference included a working group, bringing together representatives from major technology companies and leading experts with the purpose of developing a framework to advise parents on how to help keep their children safer online.
The output of this framework is a set of ‘Recommendations for Parents’ outlined below. This framework is being launched for Safer Internet Day.
- Build trust with your child to understand their online activity
- Educate yourself and your child to the online world
- Communication is key - establish an open dialogue with your child
- Utilise safety features already in place
- Technology - embrace the benefits
- Eyes open - keep an eye out for any changes in your child's behaviour