Vodafone accessibility statement
Vodafone is dedicated to meeting the needs of people with disabilities, and recognises the importance of complying with accessibility standards. We also recognise the challenge of creating a site that focuses not only on complying with standards, but on delivering an excellent online experience to the widest possible audience, including users with disabilities.
The site is designed in accordance with priority 1, 2, and 3 guidelines of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and the Irish National Disability Authority Guidelines for Web Accessibility.
The website uses structured semantic markup. H1 tags are used for main titles, H2 tags for subtitles.
The website uses cascading style sheets for visual layout. This ensures that content is perfectly linearised and improves performance on a wide range of browsers and other user agents.
Pages are designed to validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict. There are still some legacy pages that cause validation errors, and work is ongoing to fix these.
An independent accessibility audit is planned for the site to validate what level of compliance it achieves.
To help deliver and maintain an accessible website, Vodafone has created internal guidelines to guide web administrators and authors in the creation of accessible web content.
These guidelines cover issues such as
- Creating user friendly web content
- Writing meaningful alternative text
- Creating accessible tables
- Creating accessible forms
- Creating accessible link phrases
Content authors will receive training to raise awareness of accessibility issues. And compliance with accessibility standards will be monitored by the Web Editor.
Page layout and navigation
Pages on the website are structured as follows:
- Header links– Links to the homepage, Contact Us, About Us
- Search box– key word searching of the website
- Main navigation– links to the main sections of the web site
- My Vodafone
- Help and Support
- Content – main content for that page, structured using headings and paragraph elements
- Sub navigation– when you select a category in the main navigation panel, a list of further navigation links is available for that section